ls /dev/*

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Nov 3 06:07:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:55:39PM -0500, Sam Steingold wrote:
>
>> why isn't /dev a more "usual" directory?
>> cd /dev, ls /dev all fail, while
>> cat /dev/clipboard works.
>
> No one has implemented the special handling required for /dev which
> would enable things like opendir/readdir or cd to work.

Actually I change the cygdrive prefix to dev. Just seems to make sense
to me that C: would be /dev/c as apposed to /cygdrive/c, which is longer
to type. When I ls /dev I get:

$ ls /dev
c/  d/  z/

A C, D and Z drive (the Z drive is to my backup partition on my Linux box).
--
Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be
to understand.