Antwort: Re: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'

gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com
Mon May 24 10:13:00 GMT 2004

Hello Mr Ford,

Thanks for your reaction. It seemed so close to my understanding of the
problem, but alas, it still does not work.

I assume you meant this part of the openssh.README:

Important note for Windows 2003 Server users:

2003 Server has a funny new feature.  When starting services under SYSTEM
account, these services have nearly all user rights which SYSTEM holds...
except for the "Create a token object" right, which is needed to allow
public key authentication :-(

There's no way around this, except for creating a substitute account which
has the appropriate privileges.  Basically, this account should be member
of the administrators group, plus it should have the following user rights:

        Create a token object
        Logon as a service
        Replace a process level token
        Increase Quota

I did not find an 'increase quota' right, I assumed 'adjust memory for
process'

Regards,

Gert de Boer
Systemadministration and Development
FI-TE
Schindler Lifts Switzerland Ltd
Zugerstrasse 13
CH-6030 Ebikon

Telephone: +41 (0)41 4453010
mailto: gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com

                      Brian Ford
                      <ford@vss.fsi.co         An:      gert_de_boer@ch.schindler.com
                      m>                       Kopie:   cygwin@cygwin.com
                                               Thema:   Re: mutt and ssmtp on Cygwin on Windows Server 2003 'child exited 127'
                      05/19/2004 04:07
                      PM
                      Bitte antworten
                      an cygwin

myname@mycompany.com,
> so the error is not there.
>
> It all works without any problem on Windows XP and Windows 2000.
>
> So it seems something has changed in Windows 2003: for some reason mutt
> cannot trigger ssmtp to do its job.
>
> Something similar seems to happen between the CYGWIN cron service and the
> scripts it is supposed to start. Nothing happens, but if I look in the
> eventviewer I see the following order of events:
>
> PID 3188: (myaccount) RELOAD (tabs/myaccount)
>
> PID 3392: (myaccount) CMD (/home/myaccount/bin/test_mail.sh)
>
> PID 3392: (CRON) error (can't switchuser context)
>
> So it is just an idea of mine that somehow (some) programs are not able
> start others, due to some rigid security settings.
>
> BTW, all the above is done as with a group account with administrator
> rights on the server.

Please read the Windows 2003 Server section of
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README and see if that helps.  I know it
sounds weird, but trust me, it is relevant.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer