tail and win file handling

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue May 18 22:13:00 GMT 2004

At 01:08 PM 5/18/2004, you wrote:
>I can't change the application unfortunately, if I
>could I'd have it only log interesting stuff rather
>than the garbage it does.
>
>Is it worth trying maybe to link the file and tail the
>link ? or mess with a tee command ??

I guess I'm unclear on what you're doing and what's creating/removing
the file you're interested in and how it's being done.  The above ideas
may work in your situation.  I don't know.  For the example you posted,
the file deleted by "rm" isn't deleted really until it's closed, which
won't happen until 'tail' ends.  This is the way Windows works.  There's
not much to be done about it (at least not in Cygwin).  Believe me, we've
tried.

Holliston, MA 01746