[OT] Re: g++ libcygwin.a has an undefined reference

chris jefferson caj@cs.york.ac.uk
Tue May 18 10:59:00 GMT 2004

Christian Rudiger wrote:

> Hello Al,
>
> thank you, it worked.
> i putted one at the end of the program just writing :
>
> }; // end of class
> int main(){}
>
> why does that work? I think thats strange.
>
> Regards Christian Rudiger

<snip>

I thought I would post this to the list, because it's nice to have
complete dicussions for archive reasons.

All programs in standard C++ should have a function called main
(sometimes this function has a different name, for example in windows
GUI programming I believe it is called WinMain). This is the function
which is called when your program starts, and so must be present. I
suspect you are perhaps coming from a java background and may be
misunderstanding program structure in C++. This is however unrelated to
cygwin, so will not be discussed further. You perhaps need to go and get
a book or guide to c++?