xemacs shell problem

Levent Yilmaz sly5+gmane@pitt.edu
Fri May 14 21:04:00 GMT 2004

Thank you!

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Cygwin uses special pipes, called "pty"s, for applications that aren't
> running in a console.  I'm guessing that XEmacs uses these ptys for its
> shell buffer.  Some applications detect that they are not invoked from a
> console, and allocate one.  If the applications don't attempt to be
> smarter, Cygwin has no problems redirecting their output.  The reason the
> problem doesn't show up in a "bash window" is that bash already runs in
> a console.
>
> If you have the same problem running from within a terminal, like rxvt or
> xterm, I'd suspect that the problem application does exactly that --
> allocates a console when run from a pty, which is what causes the flashing
> console with error messages.

Well actuall Xemacs' shell is the only place I have this problem. Both
rxvt and xterm are working fine (maybe they are not using pty's?).
Updating didn't change anything unfortunately.

However, I believe the issue is exactly related to what you say:
Application trying to be smart! I will do as you say and research the
archives, though I have very little understanding of the matter.

I wonder if anybody else experienced such a thing?

thank you again!
-Levent.