Command line email clients

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) BBuchbinder@niaid.nih.gov
Fri May 14 16:58:00 GMT 2004

I send email from a scripts using ssmtp, but one needs to construct the
entire message, headers and all.  Earlier I had tried mutt; I don't remember
why I switched, but it may have had something to do with sending MIME.

For your reference (and perhaps your amusement), I've attached the script
that I use to format the message to ssmtp.  It is not totally generic, so
you'll have to make changes and test.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Pollard [mailto:rpollard@apple.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 12:08 PM
To: cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Command line email clients

Hi,

I need to automate email notifications from a shell script.  I also
need to be able to set up the email servers for sending mail through a
shell script.  Which ever email client I use, I need to automate the
process of setting up and sending mail.

I have looked at Pine and tried to find information on ssmtp but can't
locate any information on it.  Pine seems a bit much for what I need.
I would like to be able to just send email and not have the overhead of
Pine.  Is there documentation on ssmtp that will show me how to setup a
smtp server and send an email to it?

Thanks,

Robert Pollard