mailx mail replacement - solution in shell script

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Tue May 11 16:33:00 GMT 2004

Dave Korn wrote:

> > Yes, it relies on MTA (and I thought that ssmtp is good default for
> > Cygwin) since original mailx does the same. Althought one could simply
> > use netcat, but that brakes SMTP protocol and this behaviour
> > is recently  becoming forbidden.
>
>   I'm curious: in what way does using netcat break the smtp protocol?

I'm guessing because it just blasts the entire SMTP conversation at the
remote server and hopes that it accepts it.  The standard says you
musn't send anything until the server first sends its banner, and each
command waits for the status code of the previous, etc.  Some mailers
(e.g. exim) will drop the session with a "violated SMTP synchronization"
error.

Brian