20040422 snapshot and filenames ending with . (was: Re: errors using DB_File perl module under 20040422 snapshot)

Sat May 1 10:34:00 GMT 2004

On Apr 30 14:53, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:02:21PM -0700, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:45:38AM -0700, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > > you can create files ending with a . which are
> > > not stat'able unless another file exists with the same name without
> > > the dot. (and even then rm on the dotted name removes the non-dotted
> > > file):
> > >
> > > $ cat >foo.
> > > bar
> > > ^D
> > > $ ls -l foo.
> > > ls: foo.: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > $ ls -l foo
> > > ls: foo: No such file or directory
> >
> > Would it help to try multiple snapshots and see where this broke?  I
> > already had the 20040416 and 20040420 ones and they both fail (but
> > 1.5.9 is ok)?  I was really hoping for a "already fixed in CVS"
> > response :), is there anything I can do to help track this down?
>
> This is fixed by the 20040430 snapshot; thanks, Corinna
>
> (though I wonder if it would be possible to consistently allow
> filenames to end in a . on ntfs, since it seems you can actually
> create separate "foo" and "foo.").

It's possible but it requires a big bunch of changes inside of
Cygwin.  Allowing trailing dots (and spaces) in filenames just
happened coincidentally as a result of using the NT native function
NtCreateFile to create files.  In contrast to Win32 functions, NT
native functions don't mess around with filenames.

The disadvantage of creating these filenames is that all other Win32
applications are unable to deal with these files.  As you probably
have found out by yourself, it's not possible to delete, move or rename
these files in Windows Explorer.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.