how to set up a "mounter" service? (network drives disconnecting)

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Mar 31 22:36:00 GMT 2004

Richard Duran wrote:

> We've set up a cygrunsrv "mounter" service that maps network drives to
> Samba shares.

Are you sure? Because it seems like this mounter mounts Samba shares to
drive letters...

> We needed to do this to implement other cygrunsrv services that run
> from scripts sitting on these shares. The main problem is that
> throughout the day, connectivity to these shares is lost, and when I
> try to access these shares from Explorer, I'll see the following error
> message:
>
> [DRIVE]:\ is not accessible.
> The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged
> on to.
>
> I'll check the account on the PDC only to find that it isn't locked

Have you reported this problem to Microsoft?

> After a while, the maps will reconnect/reestablish/refresh/whatever.
>
> Any one else seen this behavior?

Not much that Cygwin will be able to do if the problem is inherently in
Windows to start with.

> Also, this might be related, but Explorer alwas identifies these
> mounted drives as "network drive" instead of "<share> on 'server'".
> FYI, we have the "mounter" service Login account set to the same
> domain account that we've set up for autologin.

Ditch the drive letters and just use UNCs (forward slashed UNCs, e.g.
//server/share/path/file). No need to use up drive letters either...