1.5.7: csrss and bash consuming 100% of CPU

Graham Clark gcla@crhc.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:25:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I believe this is an old problem, but I'm now experiencing it with a
recent version of Cygwin. I haven't been able to determine what
triggers this, but after what seems like a few minutes working with
bash, I find that my CPU is at 100%, and that task manager identifies
the culprits as csrss.exe and each instance of bash.exe. Killing each
copy of bash restores the CPU to its typical workload. I'm using
version 1.5.7 of the cygwnin DLL, and Windows XP Pro
SP1. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint when this started, and so identify
what changed on the machine. I did set "tty" in the CYGWIN variable,
but have since removed that setting.

I've searched the mailing lists, but only found a tantalising
suggestion that this would be fixed back in 1.1.1:

Google found a couple of articles, but no fix. Does anyone know what
is the cause of this?

I've attached the suggested cygcheck output to this message.

Thanks very much!
Graham