Minimal test case for Make crash bug (was: Re: make segfault building cross-glibc with latest cygwin)

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Sat Mar 20 21:11:00 GMT 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Aha.  Using 'make -d' shows more detail:
> so the recursion in extra-module.mk (which is expected, though
> I don't know how many repeats are normal) is going awry somehow.

Got it.  I'm attaching a minimal test case.  glibc's makefile
requires that Make be able to handle 140 levels of include recursion,
but cygwin Make crashes after about 130 -- unless you're running
under gdb or strace, in which case it works fine.
To repeat the bug, just unpack the two attachments and run 'make'.
If you have the bug, it will crash; otherwise it will echo a list
of 140 words.

I've tried building gnu make 3.79.1 and 3.80 from scratch,
but they both suffer from the same problem.  I also tried
compiling make without optimization; didn't help.

So it's a Heisenbug in a small box now.  I wonder if it could
be a bug in Cygwin itself?
- Dan