cp.exe bug

Mark Blackburn marklist@fangorn.ca
Tue Mar 16 10:49:00 GMT 2004

Ross Boulet wrote:

[...]

>Above is the makefile which produced the error.  The cause seems to be cp's
>handling of a .exe file.  A simple way to get what I now see as a misleading
>error message from cp is:
>
>$ touch foo.exe
>$ cp foo bar    # note the absence of the .exe extension
>cp: `foo' and `bar' are the same file

This problem still exists in the coreutils-5.2.0-1 package that I have
recently posted on cygwin-apps.

>Alan's issue arose from the fact that his makefile used a symbol for the
>resulting executable and gcc naturally appends the .exe in the cygwin
>environment.  When he tries to use the symbol in his cp command, the .exe is
>not there and cp gives the 'same file' error message.  I did some googling
>and found this issue has been mentioned in several threads.  From what I can
>gather, at least one iteration of fileutils would allow making a copy of a
>.exe file without using the extension, as long as another file with the same
>basename and no .exe extension did not exist.
>
>It looks like there was some code in fileutils 4.1-1 to handle .exe copies
>like this, but the code was removed from the released cp in fileutils 4.1-2.

I've been looking at the fileutils-4.1-1 and fileutils-4.1-2 source code
and AFAICT there has been some .exe handling code ripped out between
these versions. I assume it was problematic but I haven't been able to
dig up a bug report that explains why it was taken out.

>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00081.html
>
>http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00017.html

Mark Blackburn