cygutils - mkshortcut - Patch for --desc option for description/tooltip text - Needed for new Cygwin/X package

Thu Mar 11 08:08:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> Attached is a patch to mkshortcut to allow it to take a [-d|--desc] DESC
>> option that specifies the text of the description (tooltip text) for the
>> shortcut.  If -d|--desc is not specified, then the previous behavior of
>> setting the description to the POSIX path to the application is used.
>>
>> I have build tested and run tested the attached patch.
>>
>> I need this patch for a replacement for the XFree86-bin-icons package.
>> I already have the new package in hand, but I need this new
>> functionality in order for the shortcuts to have meaningful names and
>> descriptions.

I'll let Joshua make the call on this; if he says "go" then I'll put it
in and release a new cygutils as quickly as I can.

> Umm, don't the symbolic links in Cygwin use the description field for the
> link contents?

Perhaps, but it doesn't matter.  mkshortcut is for creating
Windows-style shortcuts.  And Windows-style shortcuts put "descriptions"
in the desc field.

--
Chuck