Snapshot 20040225: make hangs/errors out

Rolf Campbell Endlisnis@mailc.net
Wed Mar 3 23:43:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>No, but I'll try to catch one. (I removed the strace from my script.)
>>
>>Ok, caught two already. (Produced with attached script + Makefile)
>

> Not much to there, unfortunately.
>
> Out of curiousity, can you duplicate this problem with the snapshot?  I see
> that this is your own build, probably built with --enable-debugging.
>
> I've been diligently testing things with the snapshot rather than my own
> build because I was trying to debug what was in the subject.  Snapshots
> aren't built with --enable-debugging.  If this is just an artifact from
> building with --enable-debugging, then I'm not too worried.
> cgf

Ok, I've been running the script with the '25 snapshot all day, with 44
failures.  All the same type of failures I was seeing with the cvs (with
--enable-debugging).  Unfortunitely, the ethernet card on my home
machine broke so for now I'll upload one of the strace files to a
geocites site.  Nothing looks suspicious to me in the strace, maybe it's
a bug in make?
http://www.geocities.com/endlisnis/Temp/freeze.zip

What I did notice is that I'm getting a tonne of failures "make: ***
virtual memory exhausted.  Stop."  grep'ing through the make source
(which I was unable to compile) I see that this can happen when malloc
returns NULL (makes sense from the message), and I can say that my
machine has plenty of memory left.  1Gig of ram, and my commit charge
never exheaded 500Megs during the whole test.  I have my
'heap_chunk_in_mb' set to 1024.

-Rolf