read(): varblk tape records...(& Fix for : read())

Jason Winter jasonwinter@hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 15:38:00 GMT 2004

Hi Corinna,

>>If read() turns out to need a change, could you also check why I need to
>>set varblk mode before each write to remind the API what's going on - from
>>what I remember a second write returns an error unless I reset varblk mode
>>each time.  (I call a routine to set to before each read and write, just
>>to be sure... but would like to know that all the extra code can be
>>removed at some time later.)
>
>Please provide a brief test case to reproduce that problem.  I don't see
>that happening.
>
>Corinna

I'm not sure I can, you see: in fixing read, my original failed execution
now works.  It was a write, backspace, read, write - where the second write
fails.  Is it possible that calling:

    rc = ioctl (fh, MTIOCTOP, (char*)&opblk);

simply resets the error (generated by the old read() routine) and that's why
I thought it needed it?

Thanks for fixing the main issue, your support is very good and welcome!
Jason.