Cygwin Shell Here

Gregory Borota cygwin@sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 02:11:00 GMT 2004

In Windows Explorer I want to add a "CYGWIN Shell" context menu option
on file system folders, giving me a quick way to open a Cygwin window
pointing at the selected folder. This is what I came up with:

1. In the cygwin.bat file I add the line

set __CYG_PATH_=%~1

(somewhere before 'bash --login -i' line)

2. In my .bash_profile I add the line:

cd "$__CYG_PATH_"

3. I add to the registry the following lines:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygCmd]
@="CYGWIN Shell"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CygCmd\command]
@="C:\\cygwin\\cygwin.bat \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\CygCmd]
@="CYGWIN Shell"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\CygCmd\command]
@="C:\\cygwin\\cygwin.bat \"%1\""

I wonder if there isn't a simpler and nicer way to do this?

Gregory