Locales with wrong umlauts

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Jun 26 23:20:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, A. Alper Atici wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:59:28 +0200, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> >
> >set LC_ALL=de_DE
> >webdruid
> >
> >The output is german but the german umlauts are not displayed correctly.
> >Instead of 'gültigen' I get 'g"ultigen'. I think it's because the library
> >responsible for the locales (is that libintl2?) converts the output to 7-Bit
> >ASCII. How can I change this so the output is ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 or any
> >other encoding Windows can display correctly?
>
> try the following:
>
> set LC_ALL=de_DE OUTPUT_CHARSET=iso-8859-1
> webdruid

Wow.  Thanks, this was *extremely* useful.  Interestingly enough, the
OUTPUT_CHARSET option was not mentioned anywhere in the gettext/libintl
documentation, but a search for it unearthed another couple of messages on
this list from earlier this year with the same info[*] (one was from you).

Somehow I think this deserves to be in the FAQ/User's Guide, even though
this isn't Cygwin-specific, but is a problem with newlib (and, apparently,
glibc-2.1).  A link to the appropriate section of the Unicode HOWTO ([+])
might also be helpful.
	Igor
[*] <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg00919.html>
    <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg01187.html>