Vedr.: Re: OpenSSH under the CYGWIN package, does not read domain groups in /etc/group file.

las@atp.dk las@atp.dk
Thu Jun 24 09:46:00 GMT 2004

Hi.

Fair enough, I'll do that next time.

The problem is, that even after making a brand new passwd and group file, I
still get the same result. The only output I edited was the group and
passwd files, where I deleted some of the lines, so as not make it to long.

To me it looks like MKGROUP group is the result I get, if the group
specified in the passwd file dosn't exist in the group file.
Does CYGWIN do some additional checking of the group - like asking the
domain server, if it's the right group (something that might be blocked or
not allowed)? In the same breath, i'll say I haven't seen any evidence
pointing in that direction, in the logs that I have access to.

Kind regards

Lars Søndergaard
ATP
Kongens Vænge 8
3400 Hillerød
Denmark
E-mail: las@atp.dk
Tlf.: +45 4820 4574
Mobil: +45 2142 6816

                      Larry Hall
                      <cygwin-lh@cygwi         Til:     las@atp.dk, cygwin@cygwin.com
                      n.com>                   cc:
                                               Vedr.:   Re: OpenSSH under the CYGWIN package, does not read domain  groups in
                      23-06-2004 16:06         /etc/group file.
                      Besvar venligst
                      til Cygwin List

At 07:59 AM 6/23/2004, you wrote:

><snip header>
>
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
>Read it. Follow it. Come back when you've done what it says so we can
>actually work out what you're trying to do and what isn't working..
>
>Chris
>
>OK.
>$ cygcheck -s -v -r

We really prefer that you *attach* this, not inline it.

<snip>

>Output from d:\programmer\cygwin\bin\id.exe (nontsec)
>UID: ) GID: )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This doesn't look good.  Did you edit this output?

>Output from d:\programmer\cygwin\bin\id.exe (ntsec)
>UID: ) GID: )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto

<snip>

>After login 1. time:
>Last login: Wed Jun 23 13:41:20 2004 from 62b038
>Your group is currently "mkgroup".  This indicates that
>the /etc/group (and possibly /etc/passwd) files should be rebuilt.
>See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
>mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
>mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
>Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
>
>LAS@twebrep01 ~
>$ id
>uid=11274(LAS) gid=10513(mkgroup) groups=10513(mkgroup)
>
>LAS@twebrep01 ~
>$
>
>I change the line containing my account to group 547 (Power users)

And why did you do that?  The output above pretty clearly explained what
you should do if you wanted to solve this problem.  Why not just follow
the directions and solve the problem as recommended?

Holliston, MA 01746