Windows 2003 Compatibility

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue Jun 22 16:20:00 GMT 2004

At 11:41 AM 6/22/2004, you wrote:
>Hello.  We are using Cygwin here at Publix Super Markets and are in the
>process of upgrading our servers to Windows 2003 Server.
>
>Which version of the product is certified for Windows 2003 Server? Which
>version is supported under Windows 2003 Server? Are there any issues with
>doing an in-place upgrade using this version of the product? If so, what are
>they?
>
>Thank you for your assistance.

Cygwin has not been "certified" on any Windows platform.  As to the version
of Windows supported, the main Cygwin page states:

  The Cygwin DLL works with all non-beta, non "release candidate", ix86 32
  bit versions of Windows since Windows 95, with the exception of Windows CE.

Issues using some Cygwin packages with W2K3 generally are related to
security changes in W2K3 (i.e. the SYSTEM user has less permissions).
This is typically only a problem for packages that run as services and
need to switch user contexts (from SYSTEM to some user).  Packages "caught"
by this change include ssh and cron, among others.  Solutions exist in
the package READMEs.

I'd expect that an in-place upgrade of Windows wouldn't adversely affect
Cygwin and the majority of it's packages at all.  But I've never done
such an upgrade and I haven't seen any reports of anyone trying this (not
that it hasn't been done, just that no one has reported doing it IIRC).

Holliston, MA 01746