cygwin installer

Jonah Bossewitch mrenoch@phantomcynthetics.com
Tue Jun 22 14:14:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of
some documentation for creating a standalone windows installer for a
cygwin based application.

What I mean by this, is a one-click installer that ships with the cygwin
dlls, and all the necessary dependancies, along with the application
that we are porting. So, if a user doesn't have cygwin, they don't need
to install it separately first.  I understand that people with cygwin
already installed may need to download a separate binary since the
installer might mess up their existing installation.

I have seen one or two projects that seem to have accomplished this
using NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) to create this installer, but
I am having a hard time tracking down how they accomplished this.

On a related note, I want to make sure that this technique conforms to
the cygwin license.  If it makes a difference, the application we are
porting is for an educational non-profit - a medical school which has a
command line genetics simulation program.

I will gladly write up step by step instructions outlining the
method.

Thanks for all your help,
Jonah