FW: LilyPond 2.2.2 with Cygwin: Error messages

Bertalan Fodor fodber@freemail.hu
Tue Jun 22 12:26:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

We get a lot of emails from lilypond users running Windows 98 regarding
numerous "illegal operations" caused by cygwin programs. The problem
doesn't occur on Win2000 or XP.

Please let me know if you can help us. Is it a cygwin issue? Is it a
python issue? Is it an issue with lilypond build? I've attached one of
the reports.

Thank you very much.

Bertalan Fodor

Subject: LilyPond 2.2.2 test.ly failures on W98SE

Hello,

This problem was previously reported by Warren Stickney, but there seems
have been no resolution to date.

I've just completed download and test of LilyPond 2.2.2 on Windows 98 SE
(Second Edition).

When the test (test.ly) is run, it executes up to running:

command:/usr/bin/liliypond test.ly > test.log 2>&1

and then fails twice when executing PYTHON23 with the error message:

Python2
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
etc...

The details state that there was an invalid page fault in module
CYGICONV-2.DLL.

The program continues by executing "sh", "liliypond-bin" and then
PYTHON32
and again fails with the same symptoms.

Continuing on, the program fails a total of 8 times, but the PDF file is
generated and looks fine.  The test.log doesn't show any failure
messages.

Other quick tests of simple input fail exactly the same way.  This is
very
annoying and may be causing memory leaks too.

I've used cygcheck, and it reports python as 2.3.4-2.

I hesitate sending this report to the Python team, since they will want
know more about the whole process and at this stage I can't tell them
much.

I note that version 2.2.3 has just been released with no mention of
anything
related to this problem.

Please let me know what to do further.