tcltk-20030901-1 packaging bug?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Jun 16 21:54:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Brian Ford wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > Why would configure care where I built tcl?  It sounds like a broken
> > configure script to me.
>
> It doesn't care where you build tcl, but how/where you configured to
> install.
>
> Most configure scripts that "test" for packages that have pkgconfig
> style scripts (like tcl's tclConfig.sh) due not actually test anything at
> all.  They just invoke the pkgconfig script to retrieve the correct
> paths, compilation flags, link flags, etc. for the particular
> installation.
>
> tclConfig.sh does not acurately convey those paths for the Cygwin
> installation.  It reports those that would be correct for your netrel
> installation location.
>
> Does that help?

I believe it's actually both a broken configure script and a packaging bug
in tcltk.  The configure script *is* broken, since it uses
TCL_BUILD_LIB_SPEC instead of TCL_LIB_SPEC.

However, the Cygwin /usr/lib/tclConfig script doesn't define TCL_LIB_SPEC
and TCL_LIB_FLAG correctly:

| # -l flag to pass to the linker to pick up the Tcl library
| TCL_LIB_FLAG=''
|
| # String to pass to linker to pick up the Tcl library from its
| # installed directory.
| TCL_LIB_SPEC=''

Whereas the /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh script on a Linux machine does define
them, so that passing those to the linker will pick up the TCL library:

| # -l flag to pass to the linker to pick up the Tcl library
| TCL_LIB_FLAG='-ltcl8.3${TCL_DBGX}'
|
| # String to pass to linker to pick up the Tcl library from its
| # installed directory.
| TCL_LIB_SPEC='-L/usr/lib -ltcl8.3${TCL_DBGX}'

In other words, even after fixing the configure script, the link will
still fail.  I was wrong about the exact nature of the packaging bug
before, but the above looks correct.  BTW, same goes for
/usr/lib/tkConfig.sh.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/