tcltk-20030901-1 packaging bug?

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Wed Jun 16 21:27:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:06:13PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
> >On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>Why would configure care where I built tcl?  It sounds like a broken
> >>configure script to me.
> >
> >It doesn't care where you built tcl, but how/where you configured it to
> >install.
>
> I'm sorry.  I wasn't really asking for an explanation.  I know what
> tclConfig.sh is supposed to be used for.

I'm sorry too.  I simply thought that you hadn't been following the thread
closely and didn't have time to think hard about it.

It was not at all clear to me from your statement about a "broken
configure script" that you were actually referring to a particular variable
in tclConfig.sh.

> Did you actually look at tclConfig.sh?
>
>   # String to pass to linker to pick up the Tcl library from its
>   # build directory.
>   TCL_BUILD_LIB_SPEC='-L/netrel/build/libtcltk/tcl/win -ltcl84'
>
> Unless you have my build structure on your system it doesn't make
> much sense to use this variable.

Agreed, but since you hadn't said anything about understanding the
following yet, you can see where I was coming from.

> The TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC (and maybe TCL_LIB_SPEC) is obviously wrong however.

Sorry, I assume you didn't think it was meant to be condescending.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer