Problem creating files on network drives with cygwin 1.5.10-3 and tar

Rick Rankin rick_rankin@yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 03:52:00 GMT 2004

--- Rick Rankin <rick_rankin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > At 05:02 PM 6/11/2004, you wrote:
> > >After upgrading to 1.5.10, I'm seem to be having a problem creating files
> on
> > >network drives using tar. For quite a while now (a couple of years, at
> > least),
> > >I've been using tar to back up several directories to a network share, and
> > had
> > >no problems up through version 1.5.9. However, with 1.5.10-3, I get the
> > message
> > >
> > >tar: /cygdrive/m/test.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
> > >tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > >
> > >when I issue the command
> > >
> > >tar -cf /cygdrive/m/test.tar test
> > >
> > >where test is a directory with a few files in it.
> > >
> > >Now, it doesn't appear to be a permission problem as I can cd to
> /cygdrive/m
> > >and create files with touch or vim, delete files, copy files, etc. The
> > network
> > >drives are hosted by Windows servers running either NT or 2K.
> > >
> > >I tried removing smbntsec from the CYGWIN env var, but that made no
> > difference.
> > >I also tried the latest snapshot with the same results. Reverting to
> 1.5.9,
> > >however, fixes the problem.
> > >
> > >I did try googling the mailing list archives, but most of what I found was
> > >related to accessing network shares after sshing to a remote node.
> > >
> > >It appears to me that this might be related to
> > >
> > >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-06/msg00014.html
> > >
> > >but I wasn't sure so I started a new thread.
> > >
> > >Cygcheck output attached.
> > >

> > Maybe it's just me but there doesn't seem to by any cygcheck output.
> > Did you omit it inadvertently?
> >
> > FWIW, a quick test with my nearest remote share did not reproduce the
> > problem with cygwin 1.5.10.
> >

> Hmmm, I saved the message as a draft at one point. Maybe the attachment got
> dropped then, but I was sure I attached it. Oh well, the memory's the second
> thing to go... Anyway, here it is.
>
> It certainly could be something in my setup. I find it odd, though, that
> reverting to 1.5.9 fixes the problem. Another odd thing to me is the error
> message tar spits out. I'm issuing 'tar -c' and tar says 'Cannot open: No
> such
> file or directory'. I'm telling it to create the file, so it *shouldn't*
> exist.
> Errno must be getting set to an odd value somewhere.

More info: if I create an empty file before running tar, tar has no problems.
For example:

touch /cygdrive/m/test.tar
tar -cf /cygdrive/m/test.tar test

works without complaint. I don't have to do this on a local drive, though.

Rick