Problem creating files on network drives with cygwin 1.5.10-3 and tar

Rick Rankin rick_rankin@yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 22:11:00 GMT 2004

--- Larry Hall <cygwin-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> At 05:02 PM 6/11/2004, you wrote:
> >After upgrading to 1.5.10, I'm seem to be having a problem creating files on
> >network drives using tar. For quite a while now (a couple of years, at
> least),
> >I've been using tar to back up several directories to a network share, and
> had
> >no problems up through version 1.5.9. However, with 1.5.10-3, I get the
> message
> >
> >tar: /cygdrive/m/test.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
> >tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >
> >when I issue the command
> >
> >tar -cf /cygdrive/m/test.tar test
> >
> >where test is a directory with a few files in it.
> >
> >Now, it doesn't appear to be a permission problem as I can cd to /cygdrive/m
> >and create files with touch or vim, delete files, copy files, etc. The
> network
> >drives are hosted by Windows servers running either NT or 2K.
> >
> >I tried removing smbntsec from the CYGWIN env var, but that made no
> difference.
> >I also tried the latest snapshot with the same results. Reverting to 1.5.9,
> >however, fixes the problem.
> >
> >I did try googling the mailing list archives, but most of what I found was
> >related to accessing network shares after sshing to a remote node.
> >
> >It appears to me that this might be related to
> >
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-06/msg00014.html
> >
> >but I wasn't sure so I started a new thread.
> >
> >Cygcheck output attached.
> >

> Maybe it's just me but there doesn't seem to by any cygcheck output.
> Did you omit it inadvertently?
>
> FWIW, a quick test with my nearest remote share did not reproduce the
> problem with cygwin 1.5.10.

Hmmm, I saved the message as a draft at one point. Maybe the attachment got
dropped then, but I was sure I attached it. Oh well, the memory's the second
thing to go... Anyway, here it is.

It certainly could be something in my setup. I find it odd, though, that
reverting to 1.5.9 fixes the problem. Another odd thing to me is the error
message tar spits out. I'm issuing 'tar -c' and tar says 'Cannot open: No such
file or directory'. I'm telling it to create the file, so it *shouldn't* exist.
Errno must be getting set to an odd value somewhere.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Rick