user PATH spec missing via rlogin.

Jason Pearce jason.pearce@ieee.org
Wed Jun 9 11:45:00 GMT 2004

I've just installed inetd on an NT system and most things seem to be
working fine.

In the rlogin session USER environment variables (from control panel ->
system -> environment) seem to come through OK, but in the case of PATH
where it is also defined in the SYSTEM environment. I only get the
SYSTEM path. Is this expected?

Natively on the host machine my path contains system and user details
[~]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/NETMANAG.32:/cygdrive/c/orawin/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/d/vlib/std:/cygdrive/d/WVOFFICE:/cygdrive/c/AVANTI/98.4/PC:/cygdrive/c/util:/cygdrive/c/ctexe:/cygdrive/c/ctlib:/cygdrive/c/ezc:/cygdrive/c/Modeltech_5.6/win32:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Symphony EDA/VHDL Simili 2.2/tcl/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/MPLAB:/cygdrive/d/emacs-21.2/bin:/usr/bin

Via remote rlogin it only contains the system portion
 >echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/NETMANAG.32:/cygdrive/c/orawin/bin:/usr/bin

Is this expected behaviour?

As an aside, I DO have USER mount points working when remotely logged
in. This seems contrary to what I'd have expected from
inetutils-1.3.2.README which states:
  - No user mount point is valid anymore! You have to install all
    your mount points in the system mount table. This doesn't
    change after you have logged in to a normal user account eg.
    via telnet/rlogin. It's possible that we can use the user
    mounts as soon as somebody contributes a patch to login and
    ftp that allows loading a user hive into the registry after
    authentication.

Has someone already fixed login? I don't see any references to that in
login releases.

Over my remote rlogin I see:

[~]$ mount
D:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type user
(binmode)
D:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
D:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
D:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
D:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
d:\projects on /projects type user (textmode)
D:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
D:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
d:\tmp on /mnt/projects type user (textmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
e: on /cygdrive/e type user (binmode,noumount)

Note that /projects is ONLY a user mount yet I can get full remote
access via rlogin or ftp.

Jason