How to access Raw Volumes in Cygwin Environment

john george jgsave@yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 12:21:00 GMT 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to open a raw volume which I created using
the microsot diskpart utility.This volume resides on
the second disk(Which is a dynamic disk)which is
attached to my system. I am able to access the first
disk (which is a basic disk) and it's partition using
open system call as follows:
open( /dev/sda , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644) ;(Whole disk)
open( /dev/sda1 , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644) ; Partition 1
open( /dev/sda2 , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644) ; Partition 2

But I am not able to access the dynamic disk using the
same
open( /dev/sdb , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644) ;(Whole disk)
(This works fine)

open( /dev/sdb1 , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644);(First
Volume)
open( /dev/sdb2 , O_CREAT|O_WRONLY,0644);(First
Volume)
 (Doesn't work)

My concerns:
1)Are raw volumes which resides on a dynamic disk
accessible through Cygwin.
2)Is there any other device file notation scheme that
is  followed for dynamic volumes ( /dev/sd? or
/dev/something)

Any suggesstions?

Thanks.