Accessing Property Sheets

DePriest, Jason R. jrdepriest@ftb.com
Thu Jul 29 19:02:00 GMT 2004

On Thursday, July 29, 2004 7:31 AM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, George wrote:
>
>> I keep running up against situations where I require access to the
>> property sheet for a folder/file to perform a settings change I can't
>> accomplish otherwise.
>
> Exactly which properties are you trying to change?  Some of the
> security ones can be changed via setfacl, as well as chmod/chown (I
> don't think either one supports setting inheritable permissions,
> though).
>
>> I'm wondering whether Cygwin offers some way I've not yet discovered
>> to display the property sheet dialog for a folder/file.  Seems it
>> would save the trouble of opening an explorer window from bash,
>> selecting a file, opening the context menu by right clicking and
>> then selecting properties (before navigating the various tabs and
>> clicking some more).
>
> Not really Cygwin-specific, but look up the Shell API on MSDN [*]
> (which you can invoke via rundll/rundll32), in particular, the
> SHObjectProperties function.
>
> To put this back on-topic, if you do manage to find a way to do what
> you want that works on all OS's, please consider making a
> cygstart-like utility to do this and contributing it to the Cygwin
> distribution.
>
> HTH,
> 	Igor
> [*] One of the possible pointers is
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/functions/functions.asp>
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> "Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in
> doing whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw

I have a perl script that I use from a Windows command prompt that does this.

It uses Digest::MD5, Win32::File, Win32::File::VersionInfo, and Win32::FileTime to get as much information as possible.

It won't run under a cygwin prompt because I don't have all of those Win32 modules available, but if you are interested, I can send it to you.

Here is a sample of the output:
C:\Tools\Code\projects\file-version>perl file-version-edit.pl \tools\sysinternals\pslist.exe

File: \tools\sysinternals\pslist.exe
Your file seems to exist.
Win32::File::GetAttrubutes("\tools\sysinternals\pslist.exe",$fattr) -> 32
$finfo = Win32::File::VersionInfo::GetFileVersionInfo("\tools\sysinternals\pslist.exe") -> HASH(0x183f094)
$ftime = Win32::FileTime->new("\tools\sysinternals\pslist.exe") -> Win32::FileTime=HASH(0x18353cc)
File Version: 1.26.0.0
Product Version: 1.26.0.0
OS: NT/Win32
Type: Application