Win98SE_Postgres' initb FATAL shmat(id=1179648)

frn.b@tiscali.it frn.b@tiscali.it
Thu Jul 29 01:30:00 GMT 2004

Can't manage initializing db in Postgresql-7-4-3;, Win 98se, Cygwin
1.5.10-3
 I added " set CYGWIN=server" in cygwin.bat, and also added
"set PATH =C:\Programmi\GNU\CygWin\bin
C:\Programmi\GNU\CygWIn\usr\slib\cygserver.exe:$PATH"

This is what I type at prompt:

$ cd C:/Programmi/Gnu/Cygwin/usr/sbin
$ start cygserver                             //server starts, in
another shell
$ initdb -D /data    //Ok here's the prompt: answer:
The files belonging to this database system will bw owned by user
"admin".This user must own the server process.
The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.
fixing permission on existing directory  /data...ok
creating directory /data/base... ok
creating directory /data/global... ok
creating directory /data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max connections... 10
selecting default shared_buffers... 50
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /data/base1... FATAL: shmat(id=1179648)
failed:
Invalid argument

initdb: failed

// I tried to reduce the amount of shared memory making changes  in
cygserver-config, for example setting number of buffers to a lower
value, no way; setting "kern.srv.sharedmem" to"no"doesn't work, program
gets a number of  SIGNAL 12 and initdb fails.)
//I saw that other people posted this problem in  M-Lists, also googled
about,  found no valid answers.
 Thanks for your attenction.