Fetchmail and Procmail

George d1945@sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 15:18:00 GMT 2004

Jason Tishler wrote:

>George,
>
>On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 05:19:26AM -0700, George wrote:
>
>>1.  I'm getting an error about a "suspicious ~/.procmailrc" file.  I'm
>>guessing this is a permissions problem.  If that's the case, could
>>someone let me know what the correct permissions should be?  For the
>>moment, using a '/etc/procmailrc' seems to be the only thing that
>>works.
>>

>See the procmail man page.

I've read all man page and all related manpages.  The procmail manpage
states only that:

    If  no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line, proc-
    mail will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret commands  from
    /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).

What I'm experiencing is that ~/.procmailrc is ignored/complained about
whether /etc/procmailrc exists or not.

>>2.  Procmail seems to be rather slow.  I don't know whether this is
>>normal, but I've timed one mailbox download and it's taking on average
>>10 minutes to process 317 messages (2MB total)
>>

>It's fast enough for me, 10,000 - 30,000 messages per month -- even on a
>PIII 500 MHz.  Have you tried your test case on a Unix box?  If so, is
>it significantly faster?

I'm confident procmail is an excellent solution, but using the rate I'm
getting, 30,000 messages that would translate into 17 hours of
processing; given the span of a month, that leaves plenty of time to
read all 30,000 of them. :-)  I'm wondering if whether the 2
seconds/message average is normal, or indicates a problem with my setup.

As for testing on a Unix box, I'm in that category of Cygwin users who
need to make something work in a Windows environment.  My question
relates more to whether I should be disppointed or satisfied with the
results.

>>Also, is procmail supposed to be called for each individual message?
>>

>Yes.

Thanks.