Facing problem with bash

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Thu Jul 22 17:38:00 GMT 2004

Atukuri, Vasudeva_Kumar wrote:

> OS: Windows 2000
> Cygwin bash version "2.05b.0(9)"
>
> My application is a combination of Fortran and C.
> In Fortran Stdout's number is 6.
>
> When I ran the application from the Cygwin console it is giving the
> problem and exited.
> where there is a write statement to the stdout.
> Input/Output Error 179: Bad file descriptor
> In Procedure: openwt
> At Line: 562
> Statement: Formatted WRITE
> Unit: 6
> Connected To: Stdin
> End of diagnostics
> And then I typed the command "bash" (gone into one more level deeper),
> then it worked.
> And tried again one more step deeper ($SHLVL = 3) it gave the same
> problem.
>
> I kept on going deeper and deeper and my observation is...
> For all odd SHLVL values it is failing(giving the above error message)
> For all even SHLVL values it is succeeding.
>
> The strange thing is when I ran from the remote shell. My "rsh" shell is
> set to use "/usr/bin/bash"
> I ran the application on remote shell (using rsh) then the application
> is running properly.
> In all levels of SHLVL, it is running properly.
>
> Can you please suggest us a solution to solve this problem?
Ehm...

Not knowing squat about Fortran, I have not the slightest idea what
you're talking about, nor what your problem is..
I'm tempted to say http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html or
perhaps http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Could you perhaps post a minimalist test case that shows the problem
(i.e. a Fortran source file, a Makefile and whatnot so I can simply type
`make' and have the problem occur?)

As I said, I don't know *anything* about Fortran, but if your problem is
really with Bash, I'll be happy to help..

rlc

Cygwin Bash maintainer (among other things).