Slight problem with case sensitivity on managed mounts with CVS-1.11.6

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Thu Jul 22 14:45:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 10:27:38AM -0400, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>Hello CVS maintainer (et al.),
>
>I've got a slight problem with CVS when running it on a directory
>mounted in managed mode: the directory being case-sensitive, ``cvs
>update'' should *IMHO* not warn about a file whose name might clash
>with another due to its case (and on ``cvs checkout'', it doesn't).
>
>The file in question is called Hash.h, which has a little brother
>called hash.h.
>
>The error is emitted on line 1809 of src/client.c, which also contains
>a lengthy comment on why the error may be emitted, confirming my
>hypothesis.
>
>My question is not: "please fix this.." - my question is whether you'd
>be interested in a fix. The fix would consist of
>* checking whether the file being updated is on a managed mount (don't
>  know how to do that yet, but I assume it's possible)
>+ if so, assume case-sensitivity
>- if not, assume case-insensitivity

Why not send the comment and your hypothesis here rather than informing
everyone that there is a comment and asking if anyone would be
interested in a fix?  I don't think many people would be interested in
downloading the sources for cvs to see what you're talking about.  From
your description it is difficult to tell if your problem is with cygwin
managed mounts or with cvs.

>The patch would probably be Cygwin-specific, so I doubt it would be
>possible to get it up-stream, but I'll try to make it as clean as
>possible..

That seems to imply that the problem is with cvs since any fix to
cygwin would be cygwin-specific.  If that is the case, then any fix
should probably go upstream.

cgf