PCYMTNQREAIYR Please Configure Your Mailer To Not Quote Raw E-mail Addresses In Your Replies.

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Jul 12 13:32:00 GMT 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Elvin Peterson wrote:

> --- Larry Hall wrote:
> > Lots of email clients do this automatically.
>
> This should be done server side, by the mailing list
> manager.  If you subscribe to any of the sourceforge
> lists, you will know that they do this automatically.
> Much better than requesting each person to do it
> everytime (something always gets through and then it
> is spam city).

Elvin,

This wasn't an arbitrary decision.  Both ways have been tried, and, in
general, it was not possible to reliably munge e-mail addresses (and
*only* e-mail addresses) in the archived messages.  This garbled the
message contents, and so was turned off.  The headers are still munged...

There might be a way to find and match just the reply lead-ins (e.g., "On
some date, John Doe <jdoe@example.com> wrote:", or "Not so long ago, thus
spake John [mailto:jdoe@example.com]"), which should catch most of the
"violations", but, as even the two above examples illustrate, the lead-ins
are varied enough that it's probably not possible.  If anyone feels it's a
hassle to double-check their e-mail software, but minds receiving the
'#PCYMTNQREAIYR' link, they should feel free to try fixing the munging
rules.  I'm sure the list maintainers will not mind providing the
necessary pointers to the code, and they may even be willing to
thoughtfully consider trying out the results :-).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu