Options for Source Code Control: RCS v. SCCS v. CVS

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sun Jul 11 09:52:00 GMT 2004

Robert Collins schrieb:
> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 03:09, Richard Heintze wrote:
>
>>I need some help understanding how RCS works. I typed
>>"info RCS" and felt confused.
>
> Not surprisingly. RCS doesn't model what any modern revision control
> system does.

??
For single developers (and esp. single file versioning) it's still
perfect. KISS-style (http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/acadwiki/KissStyle).

CVS is just a layer on top of RCS, having to maintain special CVS and
cvsroot directories. RCS has everything it needs in the ,v ("versioned")
files. Better is of course a decent filesystem which does versioning
automatically. LispOS comes to my mind.

>>If so, (1) how do I start the service or deamon for
>>RCS?
>>
>>  (2) does RCS lock out other programmers while one
>>works on a file or is RCS like CVS and everyone merges
>>their differences later?
>
> RCS locks out everyone per file. One of CVS's big advances was the
> ability to modify a file without locking everyone out.

rcs -U changes to option to unlocked by default per file. That's what I
use everyday. I still maintain a bunge of my private filesets with rcs.

In the last 10 years I moved some projects to CVS but always came back
to the simpliest form, RCS. You can easily interchange the ,v files from
RCS to CVS forth and back. For CVS you have to move them to a cvsroot
directory tree. For RCS you keep them together with your project.

> I personally use arch - its offline work mode, built in distributed
> operation & mirroring support make it a dream to use. It versions more
> aspects of project trees than any other RCS I've encountered - it even
> supports file modes, and symlinks.

True. arch is much better and btw. IMHO much more stable and mature than
subversion.
BTW: "Magically" changing file modes and symlinks violates kiss-style.
Once you are used to it, ok. But when you have to think 10 minutes
before every simpliest action it's getting hard. This cannot happen with
RCS (and CVS also).
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/