Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

William Blunn bill--cygwin@tao-group.com
Fri Jul 9 10:12:00 GMT 2004

> On Jul  9 10:36, William Blunn wrote:
> > > My mail reader is no "modern" mail reader and I'm not interested to use
> > > one since I'm old-fashioned enough to dislike the mouse.  So my mail reader
> > > is running in an 80 column window.
> >
> > > Unwrapped mails and weird line breaks drop my attention span to read
> > > the whole posting to a minimum.
> >
> > How can you tell if you are reading flowed mail?
>
> Easily.

OK.

When viewing a message in your mail reader, is it immediately obvious to
you whether the message is (a) a flowed-text message or, (b) a message
with additional line breaks every 80 or so characters (note: two
following conditions apply to this question) ?

If you have to issue additional instructions to your mail reader (for
example to display additional information about the message), that that
is not "immediately obvious" and therefore (I contend) does not count.

Also looking at the RFC(2)822 header is considered cheating and does not
count.

What I am trying to get at it, does it make any material difference to
you if the message is flowed or otherwise?

Bill