domain and user localname conflict

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Jan 24 16:09:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Ling F. Zhang wrote:

> I did the following after I install cygwin in my laptop (WINXP PRO),
> which has both local account and domain account with the same username
> (for example, both have user "admin"). Looks like if I log into Windows
> locally and then use cygwin, everything is fine. When I log into domain
> however, I can't do anything because I don't have permission to do
> anything.
>
> yes, I already ran:
> mkpasswd -d -l > /etc/passwd
> mkgroup -d -l > /etc/group
>
> Any idea?

Ling,

If you have two accounts with the same name in /etc/passwd, only the first
one is found when looking up by name.  The way it is invoked from the
standard scripts (and the way you ran it), "mkpasswd" will put the local
accounts first, so, if you try to log in through, say, ssh into the local
machine with the "admin" account (as in your example), Cygwin will find
the local "admin" first, and check the password accordingly.

Fortunately, there is a solution.  Cygwin account names (those in
/etc/passwd) don't have to correspond to Windows account names, as long as
the SID (the long string of numbers and digits starting with "S-")
matches.  So, you have two solutions: either move the local "admin" line
down past the domain "admin" one (which will effectively "hide" it from
look-ups by name) or rename it to something else (say, "local_admin") if
you want to access it too.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/