snapshot now == 1.5.7 soon, please try

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Wed Jan 21 19:20:00 GMT 2004

  Looking at diffs between the strace output from the earlier version of
that report [ http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-01/msg00167.html ], I
noticed one thing: the underlying windoze device name opened by cygwin
corresponding to /dev/com1 used to be referred to as "\\.\com1", but
nowadays it's become "\.\com1".

  IIUIC the original form is more correct, but both versions seem to be
valid from the DOS command line.

  A) It looks like some quoting or escaping has gone astray in the
gendevices part of the build procedure, doesn't it ?  I suspect the extra
backslash of being stripped by the shell.  I haven't yet been able to
determine exactly what change in the CVS history could be responsible for
this yet.

  B) Are any string comparisons ever done on the win32 version of the device
path?  Those might be failing if they expect both backslashes.

    cheers,
      DaveK