Is cygwin really for me? (Need c++ compiler)

Andrew Sasak sasakand2@hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:21:00 GMT 2004

I've been a cygwin user for quite a while, but I still consider myself a
newbie. I have access to Visual C++ 6.0, but not permanently. I want to be
able to compile c++ code that I can easily distribute without licensing
problems (because I write software for a University research lab, at some
point may want to write shareware software, etc). Currently I only need to
compile for Windows computers, but I would like to be able to compile, or at
least write code that can be compiled, on both Win and Linux systems. For
this reason I have been using cygwin g++ with the -mno-cygwin flag. Lately
I'm wondering if this is really the best option for me. I would appreciate
any input that anybody can give me about different development enviroments,
compilers, etc.