MS offers "Services For Unix" free of charge

Doug VanLeuven roamdad@attglobal.net
Fri Jan 16 20:05:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>>It would be rather interesting to add nfs to cygwin.  We could develop
>>>filesystem "plug-ins" which could be generalized for stuff like NFS,
>>>EXTFS, etc.
>>>
>>>Didn't someone say they had a free month?  Perfect project.  :-)
>>>

>>Isn't the SFU NFS client an installable file system, i.e. you can use it
>>anywhere in Windows, not just with the SFU stuff?
>>

>Sort of.  A couple of DLLs, one or more services get started.  Then
>you can access the NFS paths from any Windows application.
>
>The problem with that NFS client is this:
>
>Even though it allows mapping between UNIX user names (from the evil
>"other" side) and Windows user names, it doesn't map the POSIX permission
>bits into NTFS like permissions.  If you look into the file property box,
>you'll see no "Security" tab.  The file access from Windows is a bit like
>access to files on FAT partitions.  The permissions are statically set in
>an administration MMC snap-in.
>
>That's the unfortunate part which, for me, makes the NFS client in SFU
>unusable.
>
>Corinna

I'm not a particular fan of MS NFS client (slow), and I don't know what
version you worked with, but V3.0 client certainly can set
user/group/other permissions, in other words, there is a security tab.
The mmc snapin functions as the equivilent of umask in UNIX.
Root_squashing is available on the server side as well.

Doug