VIM fails with SEGV after vi under telnet session

Ashok Vadekar avadekar@certicom.com
Thu Jan 15 12:35:00 GMT 2004

I seem to have the following repeatable problem since upgrading to 1.5.x
from 1.3.x:
	open bash shell (in Windows command prompt DOS box, not rxvt)
	vi foo (works fine)
		:q
	telnet remote machine (in my case a solaris 8 box)
		exit
	vi foo (works fine)
		:q
	telnet remote machine (in my case a solaris 8 box)
		run /usr/bin/vi (or vim)
			:q
		exit
	vi foo (fails with output:
[25;1HVim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
Vim: Finished.

and then leaves the shell in a state where it does not use \r, only \n such
thathitting enter at the prompt causes a staircase of output as the command
prompt continues to skew to the right.

Either
	stty sane
or
	tset
will fix the staircsae, but running vi again puts me back in that state.
Running vi in strace or gdb from this point does not cause the SEGV.
Opening a new shell gives me a clean environment with which to use vi,
until I telnet and run a remote vi session.

So what terminal setting is the remote vi/vim adjusting that causes the local
vi to get confused?  I probably have an old 1.3.x terminfo entry on the remote
box, which might explain a remote vi session that didn't work well, but this
does not seem to me to be a good reason for a SEGV.