recovering cygwin settings after a Win98 anomaly

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Wed Jan 14 02:52:00 GMT 2004

At 07:26 PM 1/13/2004, Igor Pechtchanski you wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, jon wild wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> This sounds like it should be a FAQ question but I couldn't see it there.
>> Sorry in advance if this is tedious.
>>
>> A few days ago my OS (Win98) inexplicably reverted to a much earlier
>> registry version, resetting all program preferences and file associations
>> etc. Big headache--and recent registry restore files were all wiped at the
>> same time, so I can't fix everything in one fell swoop. The registry was
>> reset to a time (4 years ago!) when I didn't have cygwin installed, which
>> I presume is the cause of the present problem I am having. Cygwin boots
>> into the wrong folder, and won't recognise commands apart from pwd and cd
>> (as far as I've checked--no ls etc). If I cd to my home directory and try
>> to run one of my executables there, I am told that cywin1.dll doesn't
>> exist, though windows sees it fine (in c:\cygwin\bin).
>>
>> Everything was running v smoothly before the anomaly. Is there a simple
>> way I can fix whatever happened? Or will I have to reinstall cygwin from
>> scratch? If anyone can point me in the right direction for understanding
>> what happened and how to fix it, I'll be grateful. I don't know much about
>> the interaction between cygwin and windows, I just use it for compiling
>> and running C programs and some batch text-processing, so apologies if the
>> question is very basic.
>>
>> Thanks --Jon Wild
>
>The only thing Cygwin normally stores in the registry at this point are
>mounts (technically, there are other things, but if you'd used them, you'd
>know how to fix this).
>
>If you've installed in the standard location, try running the following
>commands (from c:\cygwin\bin):
>
>mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/cygdrive"
>mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin" "/"
>mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
>mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
>
>If you've installed X, you should also run
>
>mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts" "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts"
>
>If you didn't install in the standard location, change "C:/cygwin" in the
>above commands to the location where you installed Cygwin.
>
>Please let the list know if this works for you.

Or, if you're not this adventurous, just rerun setup.  It will recreate
the mount points you're missing.  It will even update any packages that
might be out-of-date to boot! :-)

Holliston, MA 01746