Crash when compiling Sitecopy

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Thu Jan 8 15:27:00 GMT 2004

At 04:59 AM 1/8/2004, Frantisek Fuka you wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am not a Cygwin expert but I am trying to compile sitecopy (http://www.lyra.org/sitecopy/) under the Cygwin, which should be possible "out of the box". Unfortunately, after unpacking he source, entering the directory and typing "./configure", small window appears with the following text:
>
>"Error Starting Program - The CYGICONV-2.DLL file is linked to missing export CYGWIN1.DLL:_fopen64."
>
>(it looks like generic Windows error message, not cygwin error)
>
>While this happens, the cygwin windows says:
>
>$ ./configure
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot cr
>eate executables
>See `config.log' for more details.
>
>When I look into the config.log file, the culprit seems to be:
>
>Thread model: posix
>gcc version 3.3.1 (cygming special)
>configure:1698: $? = 0
>configure:1700: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
>gcc: `-V' option must have argument
>configure:1703: $? = 1
>configure:1727: checking for C compiler default output
>configure:1730: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
>gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.3.1/cc1.exe': Permission denied
>
>I have the latest standard cygwin installation and doesn't contain the /usr directory at all! It has /lib directory in the root (i.e. the above path would be valid if it didn't inlude the opening "/usr") but I am not enough Linux guru to understand config files and try to fix this myself. I have Windows 98 SE.
>
>Any help? Thanks.

Gerrit's right.  Your installation isn't as up-to-date as you think.
But I expect there's more wrong than just an out-of-date cygwin package
(though it could be just that - you may have forgotten to reboot when
setup told you to).  Your best bet, if you continue to have troubles that
you can't figure out, is to visit <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and
provide the information it requests if you need to contact the list again
on this subject.  My WAG is that you have more than 1 cygwin1.dll on your
system, probably as a result of installing some third-party application
that uses Cygwin, but there's really not enough information here for me to
be sure.

Holliston, MA 01746