Question about ash and getopts

Shankar Unni shankarunni@netscape.net
Thu Jan 1 02:57:00 GMT 2004

Larry Hall wrote:

> Performance of configure scripts was abysmal when /bin/sh == /bin/bash.

Umm, ash+getopts != bash. I think this is an apples-and-oranges
comparison. Certainly ash (in any form) would be much faster than bash -
no argument there, and I don't think anyone's advocating linking sh to
bash again.

I guess the big question now is: how would Peter "prove" to anyone's
liking that ash+getopts ~= ash-getopts in performance (and nowhere near
"bash")?  Is there some acceptance criterion that anyone's willing to
spell out? PTC is fine, but it's hard to evaluate a patch unless an
objective (or even subjective) performance criterion is spelled out..