Building dll's and executables in same package

Fri Feb 13 02:52:00 GMT 2004

Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> OK, after a lot of time looking at the user guide, FAQ, and Google, I
> finally figured out (I think) how to get DLLs to build with the
> autotools.  But now I'm having troubles with building the executables
> from the same package that depend on this library.
>
> My "test case" is fribidi.  In short:
>
> 1) I added -no-undefined to libfribidi_la_LDFLAGS in Makefile.in
> (there's only one, no subdirs).

You might want to use automake+autoconf+libtool, instead of just
autoconf+libtool.

> 2) I added an empty main function to one of the src .c files:
>
> +int main ()
> +{ return 0; }

You don't need to do this.

> dlltool seems to build cygfribidi-0.dll properly, then make continues to
> build fribidi.exe, which depends on libfribidi, and the following happens:

Don't use dlltool.  It's old and crotchety.  Use gcc -shared (or
libtool).  For examples, see the dllhelpers
here:http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/dll-stuff/index.html

And make sure you're using a new(er) libtool/autoconf, like
autoconf-devel-2.59 and libtool-devel-1.5.

--
Chuck