Is it possible to move emacs from one computer to another?

Charles Plager cplager+cygwin@physics.ucla.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:03:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>I'm not particularly experienced at building large packages so I have a
>>few questions:
>>
>>1) Do I just get the source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/?
>

> No, you download the Cygwin source using setup.exe by checking the 'Src'
> box for the package.  Note that by design of setup.exe, if you have a
> version of the package installed, you can only download the source for
> that version.

Is there a way I can get the cygwin source (or binarys for that matter)
for emacs 21.1.something?

>>2) Are there special cygwin build procedures?  When I typed 'configure'
>>(a script that came with emacs), it simply said:
>>cplager@pointyjr> configure
>>checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
>>configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
>>Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>

> Most Cygwin packages come with Cygwin-specific documentation that should
> be in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/<package>-<version>.README for newer packages.
> That README file should contain build procedures on Cygwin, the exact
> configuration options used to build the binary package, etc.

If the answer to the above question is no, would it be possible to
"reconstruct" the cygwin source by using the build procedures for
21.2.11 on a 21.1.X release?

>>3) When past hurdle #2, how do I force a debug build? (simply
>>'make DEBUG=yes'?)?
>
> Most likely that information will be in the Cygwin-specific README as
> well.  If not, you could try setting CC="gcc -g" and CXX="g++ -g".  You
> may also have to disable stripping of the executables.

Again, pardon my ignorance, but what does "stripping of the executables"
mean and how would I avoid it?

	Thanks,
  	  Charles