Text entry to command line program

Ross Boulet ross@rossb.com
Mon Feb 2 14:05:00 GMT 2004

I've been having a problem for a while now on my XP laptop with an Oracle
program (sqlplus).  When I start sqlplus, it prompts for a user id and then
a password.  When I run it from the windows shell (cmd.exe) it works as
expected, i.e. the user id is echoed and the password is not:

c:\$temp>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Feb 2 07:24:24 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: myid
Enter password:

In bash or ksh, the password gets echoed as well (and shouldn't be):

lap /home/rossboulet # sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Feb 2 07:22:35 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: myid
Enter password: mypass

Its been happening to me for the last several releases of cygwin but I can't
say exactly when it started happening.  Any suggestions?