bug? cp and coreutils-5.2.1-2

Raye Raskin rayer@pobox.com
Wed Dec 22 23:16:00 GMT 2004

> Just updated my Cygwin. If I use cp to copy a file, in this case an
> executable, I get "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" when I try to
> run the copied file.
>
> The copied file also now differs from the original.
>
> $ ls -l /bin/sum.exe
> -rwxr-x---+ 1 sam Users 26624 Dec 21 02:32 /bin/sum.exe
>
> $ cp /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe
>
> $ ls -l copysum.exe
> -rwxr-x---  1 sam None 26713 Dec 22 14:35 copysum.exe
>
> $ cmp /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe
> /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe differ: char 119, line 1
>
> $ ./copysum.exe
> This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
>

> Anybody else experiencing this? I have tested this out on three different
> computers that have been updated today, all produce the same results. On a
> box thats running the older cygwin, cp copies the files exactly and I have
> no trouble running them.
>

> Thanks,
> Sam

Works fine for me.  Maybe you'd better do

$ which cp
$ which ls

...and for good measure,

$ /bin/sum.exe

You may find that /bin/sum.exe is *not* what you run when you run
"sum".

FYI, for me, running sum or ./copysum.exe just hangs, it is waiting
for stdin.  So I ran the --version option to each, just to see them
do something.

HTH