Piping output from sqlplus

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:15:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Chuck wrote:

> Bakken, Luke wrote:
> > > I need a korn shell that will handle the windows-like path names
> > > (pdksh),  and where "read" executes in the same shell that called it
> > > (ksh '93).
> >
> > Keep wishing. There are other ways of doing what you need to do with
> > sqlplus without using a pipe and read.
>
> I have dozen's of ksh scripts already written and running on other
> platforms. I'm not going to change them all just to accomodate a
> weakness in Cygwin, or more precisely pdksh.

Cygwin isn't the only platform where ksh is pdksh.  You can't change all
the platforms.  If you want your scripts to be truly portable, you should
try to accomodate the idiosyncracies of each platform.  As mentioned
above, it's rather easy to change the scripts so that they work on all
platforms (including Cygwin).  You can also test whether your construct
works, and if it doesn't, have a bit of pdksh-specific code.

Basically (again, as others mentioned), Cygwin's main ksh will stay pdksh
unless someone (i.e., you) packages and offers to maintain the "real" ksh.
If you decide to do this[*], please review the packaging instructions at
<http://cygwin.com/setup.html>, and good luck.  It might also help to
review the prior discussions on the issue (search the cygwin-apps archives
for ksh93).
	Igor
[*] You'll also need to coordinate with the pdksh maintainer (me)
regarding the naming of executables and symlink policies.  Such
coordination usually happens on the cygwin-apps mailing list (which all
maintainers have to read).  When you ITP the package, this will come up.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT