Non-US keyboard (PT) bash problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Dec 16 22:40:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Lino Miguel Martins Tinoco wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I can't have special characters displayed correctly on bash (ç, Ç and
> accents). They are displayed as ? when I do a ls but they get displayed
> correctly if I pipe the results or send them to a file. On command line
> they are displayed as the respective octal value (ç is displayed as
> \347). Before I try the set meta-flag solution, bash was interpreting
> some of these symbols (hitting ç twice gave me an ls).

For 'ls' you may wish to use the --show-control-chars flag.  For bash (or,
rather, readline), you will need all four of

set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set input-meta on
set output-meta on

(see <http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC46>), and/or the respective
manpages.

> Also tried codepage:oem, but didn't worked. On a DOS box this characters
> are displayed ok. They are also displayed ok on any editor (vi, emacs,
> ...). This happens on console window and xterm or rxvt.

When you say "DOS box", I presume you mean the actual Windows Command
Prompt window, so looks like your problem is with bash.  Since you seem to
have the same behavior in console, xterm, and rxvt, this doesn't look like
a font issue.  If the above doesn't help, please post the exact steps to
reproduce the problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT