PostgreSQL: Bad system call

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Dec 9 22:41:00 GMT 2004

Markus Hoenicka schrieb:
> Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> was heard to say:
>>The cause is that the internal cygserver msg buffer is allocated
>>read-only. (IsBadWritePtr() fails)
>>Reason unknown. gcc? cygwin?
>>Solution pending.
>>
>>Szteps to reproduce:
>>cygserver &
>>ipcs
>>=> Bad system call
>
> Oh great. I'm afraid fixing this is above my head. But at least I'd like to help
> track down the culprit. The interesting fact is that I've downgraded all
> relevant packages that I can think of (PostgreSQL, cygwin1.dll), rebooted the
> box, stopped  cygserver, but still get the error. How can I hose a Cygwin
> installation that not even downgrading helps? What is it that I did not
> downgrade that causes the problem? Does setup.exe keep a log of what I
> precisely up/downgraded?
>
> I do like PostgreSQL on Unix a lot, but I really hate to ever touch setup.exe
> because more often than not I'm left with a broken database engine.

Corinna just answered to this problem, which I suspected to be a
cygserver problem, but she said that the caller is responsible for
allocating the msg buffer, so it should be a postgresql problem.

I'm still scratching my head also, because I'm not really convinced,
because even cygserver & ipcs fails,
but I'll try to step through this again.

Several people could successfully compile and run the latest postgresql
See e.g. the postgresql buildfarm with gcc-3.3.3.
http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl (Gibbon)
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/